monday memo 118: dawns, sneakers & cheap houses
Welcome to the Monday Memo — your pop culture snapshot from Manifesto.
Hey friends, Mondays can be tough. Here are 7 things to make February 6th, 2023, a bit better.
1. Artist of the Week: Thandiwe Muriu Thandiwe Muriu is a self-taught photographer born and raised in Nairobi, Kenya. Over the years, she has developed a particular interest in showcasing Africa’s unique mix of vibrant cultures, color and people. Through her personal work she celebrates her African heritage and tackles important issues such as identity and self-perception using the rich colors and vibrancy the continent is so well know for. Thandiwe’s signature style is colorful, clean and bold.
2. What we're listening to: Dawns (feat. Maggie Rogers) by Zach Bryan Zach Bryan of "Something in the Orange" and Grammy-nominated-pop-darling Maggie Rogers have teamed up for "Dawns," a song about a relationship at it's end. Both artists deliver a moving performance with their heartbreaking lyrics and raw vocals carrying the track to its finish. Pass us the tissues.
3. What we're watching: Pokerface - Peacock Charlie has an extraordinary ability to determine when someone is lying. She hits the road with her Plymouth Barracuda and with every stop encounters a new cast of characters and strange crimes she can't help but investigate and solve. Where most crime shows leave the reveal of the killer to the last minute, Pokerface shows up right upfront who is to blame. However in this format it works, because much like Charlie, we know when they are intentionally lying to us. This new show is an ace.
4. Trend & Advertising Highlight: The Little Blue (Shoe) Box Nike has long been known for their incredible sneaker drop collaborations, and this case is no exception. Except this time, images of this new collaboration leaked online. Nike has now paired up with iconic jewelry label, Tiffany & Co. Staring on March 7, you too can get your hands on one of the iconic Tiffany Blue Boxes, but you won’t find a diamond inside, instead you will find special edition Air Force Ones. The Nike x Tiffany & Co. Air Force 1 1837 marks the first time that Tiffany and Co has joined the footwear game, but it shouldn't really come as a surprise to long-standing fans. Tiffany has engaged in an increased number of collabs since its 2021 acquisition by LVMH. While at first glance it may not make sense for the two brands to collaborate, it in fact shows how Nike is incredibly on the pulse of trends. For a long time, obsession with shoes was seen as a strictly “female” past time. Sneakers, once the symbol of athleticism, have transcended their primary function to become commercial and fashionable objects of desire. From sportswear and street style to catwalk fashion, sneakers have made their mark as cultural commodities. With artists like Frank Ocean launching their own jewelry lines, mens jewelry is a trend on the rise, and Nike plans to cash in on it. Well, if the shoe fits.
5. Cognitive Bias of the Week: The Availability Heuristic Why do we tend to think that things that happened recently are more likely to happen again? The availability heuristic describes our tendency to use information that comes to mind quickly and easily when making decisions about the future. For example, say the last few weeks you have snagged a front parking spot on work. You have become so reliant on this recent information, that you leave your house later, believing that you won't need the extra time to park. Well, now you are late to work and you have to park blocks away. The availability heuristic can lead to bad decision-making because memories that are easily recalled are frequently insufficient for figuring out how likely things are to happen again in the future. Ultimately, this leaves the decision-maker with low-quality information to form the basis of their decision. Just do your best to be aware, and always try to set yourself up for success!
Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce (RIGHT) and Philadelphia Eagles center Jason Kelce (LEFT) are set to make even more NFL history. The two All-Pro players will become the first brothers to face off against each other in a Super Bowl. "My mom can't lose."
6. Good News of the Week:
For the first time in history, two brothers will play against each other in the Super Bowl (CBS)
Alabama town learned farmer secretly paid people's pharmacy bills (The Guardian)
National parks along Lake Superior to be first to fully decarbonize (M Live)
A librarian collects all the things left in books — from love letters to old photos (NPR)
A startup invented a porta-potty that converts waste into high-quality fertilizer (Fast Company)
7. Bonus: Cheap Old Houses Do you love houses with character? Do you spend hours scrolling Zillow with your pretend budget? Are you handy? Then do we have the Instagram account for you! Cheap Old Houses posts pictures of beautiful old homes for sale across the country. However, most of them need extensive work. But hey, just because something needs a little love, doesn't mean it isn't worth it!